Those that will be doing online will start to login at 8:45am on this link
TH Rogers Chess Camp - Online - June 16th
Zoom Login Credentials
Meeting ID: 862 1448 8906
In person students:
Those that are coming to school and want to have breakfast need to be at school at 8:00am and those that are not having breakfast can come in at 8:30am.
Welcome to the T. H. Rogers Chess Camp 2021
Thank you joining our chess camp. Hard to believe we are going to have in person chess camps this summer. We are looking forward to seeing the children active and ready for chess. We have some great coaches at our chess camp, and I am sure your children are going to learn and have fun at the same time. Please read the following carefully.
Students that are getting this email are those that signed up for Week1 only and Both weeks. If this is not the case, please let me know asap.
Time and Place
Chess Camp will run from June 14th to 18th for the first week and June 21st -25th for the second week.
NOTE: There is a Slight Change on the schedule:
First week of Camp: Monday the 14th will be online, 15thto 18th will be in person.
Second week of Camp: Monday the 21st to 24th, will be in person and 25th will be online.
Half Day Camp is from 8:00am to 12:00pm (they will be allowed to eat their lunch before they get dismissed. If they don’t eat HISD lunch, please pack their own lunch. If you choose to skip lunch you can pick up at 11:45am.
The school is located at 5840 San Felipe, Houston, TX 77057. In case of an emergency, the school's main phone number is 713-917-3565. I will also have my cell phone (832 721 4945) on me throughout the camp. If you cannot reach me, please call the main office number and they will page me.
Covid Testing by Rapid Dx
Covid Testing will be Done on Tuesday the 15thand Monday the 21st at the entrance. No parents will be allowed to enter the building. You can be present when the covid test is done, and then we will take your child into the cafeteria. You will need to click on the link below to fill in all your details with Rapid Dx. They will come to school on June 15th and June 21st to test all our campers. It will be a throat swab. All campers will ONLY use this institute for the testing at School. If you don’t fill your details, the process will take longer, and your child may miss the first session.
Drop-off and Pick-up
Drop off at the entrance of the school. Since we have other camps at Rogers, for the safety off all children, we would like the parents to sign in their child in the mornings at the entrance.
12:00pm pick up will be at the entrance of the school. Please No late pick up.
Dismissal for full day campers will start from 4:45pm. We will use carpool pick up. You don’t need to get out of your car.
What to Bring or Not Bring
· Good Attitude –Always important to have.
· Chess Stuff – Due to covid, campers are not allowed to bring any chess items to school. We will have our board and supplies disinfected.
Food will be served by HISD food services, if you child is picky about what he/she eats, then I suggest sending lunch. If you need a veggie option, I suggest carry your owe food, there are not many veggie choices. Once I get the menu options, I will email it to the group, so you can plan accordingly.
· We will be providing snacks and water throughout the day.
· Medication - Legally I am not allowed to dispense medication to your child. If your child needs any medication during the day, please contact the RNs in the clinic at 713-917-3565 to understand what paperwork is required for them to dispense it. I do know, though, that most of the local pediatricians have the HISD authorization forms in their offices and can fax them over with instructions to the clinic. The school's fax number is 713-917-3555. Please have the pediatrician's office note that it is for a child in chess camp.
· Mask Wearing: All campers will have to wear a mask until we get all the results of the covid testing. It will be optional once we get a clear from Rapid DX. We will provide a mask if your child has forgotten one on the way to school.
· Clothing - The air conditioning maybe low at times. If your child is easily chilled,you may want to send a light wrap. If you feel comfortable to send a change of clothes for the younger campers, that will be no problem, I will leave it to your own discretion. Please be sure everything is well labeled.
· Wheelies - School has requested to let all the parents know that "Wheelies" are not allowed as they are unsafe and will mark the gym floor.
Behavior and Discipline
Participation in Chess Camp is privilege not a right. The faculty and administration of the camp requires appropriate behavior from all campers, in essence as outlined in HISD's Code of Student Conduct. We will make every effort to work with children and their parents to eliminate disruptive behavior. However, the Chess Camp reserves the right to dismiss any camper who repeatedly interferes with the teacher's ability to communicate effectively with the class, or with the ability of the camper's classmates to learn.
Online Chess on Monday 14th and Friday 25th
We use Lichess during our classes. If you are a first time student on Lichess here are the instructions to join Lichess.org
1) go Lichess.org and follow all the instructions to join. It's free to join.
after you join with username and password.
2) Put your cursor over COMMUNITY on the top left. Go down and click on "Teams".
3) Click on "All Teams" and type in the search bar to the right " Houston".
4) Scroll down and search for the T.H. Rogers Summer Camp 2021.
5) Once you join, I will accept you to the team.
Coaches that are Teaching at our Camp:
Dan Fernandez (International Master), Justin Gardner ( Master), Andrew Koenigsberg (Candidate Master) Benjamin Walmer, William Fan, Damanthi Perera and Kylan Naidoo are Specialized coach with great teaching skills. We will have assistant coach from Bellaire, Carnegie, and Debakey High school Chess Club in all classes.
We look forward to a fun and educational camp. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. During camp, I will prefer text 832 721 4945.
We offer after school online classes on Wednesdays and Fridays at 4:00-5:00pm